Author: 4/21/2018 In-Store Demo with Marg Junkhan
1/2 pound asparagus
1/3 – 1/2 pound spaghetti (I like to use thin spaghetti)
2 tablespoons butter
1 large or 2 small shallots, finely chopped
3 tablespoon white wine (Vermouth works well)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup cream
Salt and pepper to taste
4 ounces smoked salmon, cut into small pieces
1. Wash asparagus well, break off tough ends and cut into 1 ½ inch pieces making diagonal cuts. Place a steam basket in a pan with about 1 inch of water, bring to boil and place asparagus in basket. Cover and steam for about 3 minutes – asparagus should still be crisp. Remove from pan and run cold water over it to stop cooking. Drain and set aside.
2. Cook spaghetti according to the directions on the box.
3. While spaghetti cooks, make sauce. Heat a 10inch sauté pan or deep skillet over medium heat; add butter. When melted, add shallots and a grind of pepper, cook a few minutes until softened. Do not let them brown.
4. Add wine and lemon juice, let boil a few seconds to reduce liquid. Add cream, bring to boil, lower heat to maintain simmer, and cook 1-2 minutes until cream thickens slightly. Add salt and pepper to taste, plus a little more lemon juice, if needed.
5. Remove from heat, add asparagus and salmon, mix gently, add spaghetti, mix.
6. Place in warm serving bowl, serve.
Recipe Notes: Cooked salmon may also be used in place of the smoked salmon – a good way to use up leftovers. Ham may also be used.