Author: Laura Doerr, Ways To My Heart
16 oz box of spaghetti pasta
8 oz pancetta cubed
1/2 medium white or yellow onion diced
2 cloves garlic minced
3/4 cup fresh finely grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper
1. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the spaghetti according to package directions to al dente.
2. While pasta is cooking: In a large skillet cook the pancetta until just crisp. Remove from pan onto a paper towel lined plate. Wipe out any excess grease from the pan, but do not wash it. Add pan back to stove over medium heat, add in onions and garlic, cook until soft. Turn off the burner, and add pancetta back into the skillet to keep warm.
3. In a bowl, whisk eggs, grated Parmesan, cream, and salt and pepper together until smooth.
4. Before draining pasta, reserve a cup or two of the pasta water. Drain pasta, and add hot pasta to skillet with pancetta, onions, and garlic. Slowly drizzle the egg mixture into the skillet over the hot pasta, tossing with tongs the whole time. Sauce will become thick and should coat the pasta. Add some of the reserved pasta water if needed to thin out the sauce.
5. Serve immediately, top with extra grated Parmesan and black pepper. YUM!
If you cannot find pancetta, you can use thick cut bacon. I find pre diced pancetta in the gourmet cheese section by the deli in my local store. This is also where you will find the imported fresh Parmesan. I highly recommend using this Parmesan, it really does make the dish! It comes in a triangle pie shape, so worth it!
Have leftovers? Just add some milk when you re-heat, just as good the next day!