Author: Lia Soneson
An eye-catching appetizer, or satisfying lunch, these salt block grilled shrimp are simply
outstanding! The salt block perfectly seasons the shrimp as it grills in just a few minutes. The
refreshing salsa and creamy avocado round out the flavors and delicious profile of these tasty
Serving Size: About 8 toasts
1 Himalayan salt block
1 lb large shrimp, cleaned
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 french baguette, sliced
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 avocados, pitted and mashed
2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 clove of garlic, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
Cucumber Mango Salsa:
1/2 English Cucumber, seeds removed, finely diced
2 champagne mangoes, pitted and finely diced
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
1 lime, juiced
1/2 cup cilantro, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Place the salt block on a cool grill and heat the grill to a medium high heat. Allow the salt block
to warm gradually as the grill heats up.
2. Prepare the shrimp by cleaning and deveining, as necessary.
3. Meanwhile, prepare all of the other ingredients. The shrimp will grill very quickly, so have all the
other recipe prep completed. Slice the baguette into long, diagonal slices, and brush with the
4. Prepare the cucumber mango salsa by finely dicing all the ingredients, and mixing to combine.
5. In a medium bowl, mash the avocado with the lime juice, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover and
6. Just before you're ready to grill the shrimp, grill the slices of buttered bread until grill marks
begin to appear and the bread is toasted.
7. In a medium bowl, drizzle the shrimp with olive oil, pepper and chili powder Toss to coat.. Once
the salt block is very hot, place the shrimp on the salt block and cook for 2-3 minutes turning once
with tongs until the shrimp are pink and opaque. Actual timing may vary by the size of the shrimp
and the heat of the grill, so go by sight and touch.
8. Immediately before serving, spread the avocado mash on the toasts, top with a few spoonfuls
of salsa, and top with the grilled shrimp.
9. After the salt block cools, care for your salt block according to the package instructions.