Author: Laura Doerr with Ways to my Heart
Serving size: 24 cookies
· 1 cup brown sugar
· 3/4 cup shortening
· 1/4 cup molasses
· 1 egg
· 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
· 2 tsp baking soda
· 1 tsp ground cinnamon
· 1/2 tsp ground cloves
· 1 tsp ground ginger
· 1/8 tsp salt
For the cinnamon cream cheese frosting
· 2 cups powdered sugar
· 1/4 cup salted butter room temp
· 4 oz cream cheese room temp
· 2 tsp vanilla extract
· 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl or stand mixer beat together brown sugar, shortening, molasses, and egg on medium speed until combined. Stir in the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt until combined.
3. Drop rounded spoonfuls (about 1 1/2 inch balls) onto an ungreased cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Use a scoop tool if possible, to keep the cookies uniform in size.
4. Bake for 13-14 minutes. Remove the cookies from the cookie sheet onto a cooking rack. Cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting
1. Beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add in the vanilla. Slowly add the powdered sugar, beating on med-high in-between each addition. Beat until all powdered sugar is incorporated and smooth. Beat in ground cinnamon. Spread evenly onto cooled cookies.
If you are a frosting lover you may want to double the recipe, or make 1 1/2 times. This recipe allows for a thin layer of frosting on 25 cookies, so double if you're looking for a thick frosted cookie