Author: Laura Doerr with Ways to my Heart
Serving Size: 10-12 servings
Total time: 2 hours
2 sticks unsalted butter
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¾ cup water
2 cups sugar
½ cup buttermilk
2 tbsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ heaping tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
6 oz semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
5 oz heavy cream
¼ tsp cinnamon
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 12 cup Bundt cake pan with butter and a dusting of flour, or spray generously with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a medium-large sauce pan, melt the 2 sticks of butter over low heat. Whisk in the cocoa powder until dissolved. Whisk in the water until smooth, and remove from heat. Whisk in the sugar, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla.
3. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Gently stir in the butter and cocoa mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined, batter will be lumpy.
4. Pour into the prepared Bundt pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes on the center rack, or until toothpick comes out clean (crumbs sticking to toothpick is ok).
5. Cool the cake for 20 minutes while it is still in the Bundt pan on a cooling rack. Loosen the edges with a knife and turn over onto a plate or other flat surface.
For the Chocolate Ganache
1. Add chocolate chips to a medium heat proof bowl.
2. Add heavy cream to a small sauce pan and heat to a boiling over med-high heat. Just when it starts to boil, remove from heat and pour over chocolate chips. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add cinnamon and cayenne, and whisk until smooth.
3. Let ganache cool slightly before icing. It will thicken as it cools. Pour evenly over the cake.