Updated: Apr 19, 2018
Author: Lia Soneson
Homemade chicken pot pie is the definition of comfort food!This savory, and delicious recipe has the classic filling of chicken and vegetables in a buttery, flaky crust dotted with fresh thyme leaves. Serve this pie piping hot with a simple side salad for a complete and satisfying meal.
Serving Size: 6-8
Pastry Crust Ingredients:
2-1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks salted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 cup cold buttermilk
1/4 cup ice cold water
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced into 1/4” pieces, (about 3 cups when diced)
4 tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 onion, diced, about 1-1/2 cups
2 stalks celery, diced,
about 1 cup 2 carrots, diced,
about 1 cup 1/4 cup dry sherry
4 tablespoons flour
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup frozen peas
1 egg beaten, as a wash
1. Poach the chicken breasts until cooked thoroughly, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and dice into 1/4" cubes.
2. Next, prepare the pastry crust by mixing the flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut the cold butter into half-inch cubes.
3. Combine the butter and flour together with a pastry blender, or pulse with a food processor leaving pea-sized pieces of butter remaining. Avoid using your fingers or hands to combine the flour and butter -- the heat will melt the butter and reduce the crust’s flakiness. As well, avoid over-mixing the butter and flour.
4. Add the buttermilk and cold water to the crumbly dough. Gather the dough until it loosely comes together into a ball.
5. Flatten the ball of dough slightly, cover with plastic wrap and allow it to chill in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
6. Prepare the filling. In a large Dutch oven, melt the butter and sauté the onion, garlic, celery, and carrot until softened. Add the sherry, and then reduce. Add the flour, and cook for about two minutes. Add the chicken broth and cream; simmer until the mixture thickens.
7. Stir in the cooked chicken and frozen peas. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cool to room temperature.
8. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Generously sprinkle flour on a working surface. Cut the disc into two equal pieces. Roll out the chilled dough into two rounds that are about 11-inches in diameter.
9. Fold the rolled dough over the rolling pin, and slide the crust over the pie plate.
10. Place the cooled chicken and vegetable mixture inside the pie crust.
11. Carefully, with a rolling pin, place the second crust on top of the pie. Trim off any excess dough, and pinch the edges together.
12. Brush the top with an egg wash, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cut slits in the top to allow steam to vent.
13. Bake for about 30-40 minutes until the filling is bubbly, and the crust golden brown and flaky.