Author: Laura Doerr with Ways to my Heart
· 1 lb sweet or spicy Italian sausage turkey or pork
· 1/2 small onion minced
· 3 tbsp truffle infused olive oil
· 4 cloves garlic minced
· 1 1/2 cups zucchini "noodles"
· 1 1/2 cups butternut squash "noodles"
· 1/4 box linguine
· 4 tbsp butter
· 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
· 1 cup parmesan cheese fresh grated
· salt and pepper
· +/- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, cook linguine noodles according to package instructions to "al dente". Reserve about 1 cup of the pasta water before draining. Drain and set aside.
2. While the pasta is cooking heat 2 tbsp. of the infused olive oil over med-high heat in a large skillet. Add sausage and onion, break up the sausage with a wooden spoon. Cook until sausage is cooked through. Add 3 of the 4 cloves of minced garlic. Stir in the zucchini and squash noodles with the remaining infused olive oil. Add more regular olive oil if needed. Use infused olive oil to taste depending on your taste for truffle. Cook the zoodles for about 5 minutes or until soft.
3. In a saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add in heavy cream and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add in remaining 1 clove of minced garlic. Stir in the parmesan cheese. Add the cooked linguine noodles and cheese sauce to the sausage mixture. Toss together until everything is coated in the parmesan cream sauce.
4. If sauce is too thick, add some of the reserved pasta water or milk. Depending on your taste for truffle, add another drizzle of infused olive oil. Stir in red pepper flakes, and taste for seasoning. Serve with additional fresh grated parm and red pepper flakes for a kick!
I used truffle infused olive oil that one of my local grocery stores carries. If you are using straight truffle oil you'll want to reduce the measurements because it is a very intense and strong flavor.