Author: Laura Doerr, Ways To My Heart
Total Time: 2 hours
Serving Size: 12 squares
½ cup high quality extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, minced
1 tbsp fresh oregano, minced
1 tbsp fresh thyme, minced
¼ tsp black pepper
1 cup warm water
¼ tsp honey
2 ½ tsp active dry yeast
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp kosher salt
½ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1. Combine olive oil, garlic, all fresh herbs, and pepper in a medium skillet. Heat over med-low heat for about 10 minutes until fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl combine warm water, honey, and yeast. Stir together a few times, and let sit for about 5 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of the flour and ¼ cup of the olive oil mixture. Stir just until flour is combined, and let sit for 5 minutes.
3. Add in the other 1 ½ cups of flour and the kosher salt. Stir until it just comes together. Flour a work space or cutting board. Have a small amount of flour on standby if needed to avoid sticking. Knead the dough about 15 times. Transfer dough ball to an oiled large bowl. Cover with a damp towel for 1 hour to let rise. Preferably a warmer area of the kitchen.
4. Once the dough has risen for 1 hour, preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spoon 2 tbsp of the olive oil mixture into a 9x13 baking pan, spread evenly. Pour the dough into the baking sheet and press into the pan using your finger tips to push into the corners until its spread evenly, and dimpled. Spoon remaining olive oil and herb mixture over the top. Let sit and rise for another 20 minutes before baking.
5. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh grated Parmesan cheese, return to oven and bake for another 5 minutes or until golden brown. Cool, slice, and serve.
Recipe could be doubled to make in a large jellyroll pan. Serve with marinara for dipping, or make your favorite sandwich!