Author: Lia Soneson
For a filling plant-based meal made quickly, these crispy chickpea fritters fit the bill, and will delight vegetarians and meat eaters alike.
Serve them on a bed of greens with a creamy, lemon dill sauce. Keep this recipe in your back pocket for the next meatless meal.
Chickpea Fritter Ingredients:
1 (15-oz. can) chickpeas, drained
OR, use 3/4 cup dried chickpeas,
cooked until tender
1/2 c. freshly chopped parsley
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
3 tablespoons Panko breadcrumbs
Lemon Dill Sauce Ingredients:
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 cup Greek yogurt
1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F. In a food processor, combine all of the chickpea fritter ingredients and pulse until incorporated and the chickpeas have broken down, but are not completely smooth in texture (some slightly bigger pieces of chickpea are good).
2. Scoop the chickpea mixture into a bowl, and using your hands, form fritters, approximately 2-1/2” wide and 1/2” thick by rolling the mixture into a ball and then lightly patting the ball to form a patty. Continue to form the patties until you have created roughly 12 fritters.
3. Arrange the fritters on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush with olive oil. Bake the fritters in the oven for 10 minutes, then turn over and bake for another 5 minutes. Bake until the fritters are golden brown and begin to form a crust.
4. While the chickpea fritters are baking, mix all of the prepared sauce ingredients together in a medium-sized mixing bowl completely incorporated. The sauce will resemble the thickness of a ranch dressing.
5. In a large bowl, prepare a simple, undressed salad using fresh, seasonal ingredients. We used heirloom tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, feta cheese, and spinach.
6. Serve the chickpea fritters immediately over a bed of fresh greens and drizzle with the lemon dill sauce, or serve the sauce on the side for dipping.